14 March 2009

love, hate, and dust bunnies

Have I mentioned my love/hate relationship with sewing? When I'm in the groove, I enjoy myself. After a (usually frenzied) bout of sewing, I don't want to look at my machine for months. I once went almost two years without sewing a stitch. Which leads me to the dust bunnies.

I had to loan out my sewing table today. The horrors that lurked underneath would shock and amaze most anyone. Tonight I clean rather than sew. I have a dozen projects floating around my head. No way can I replace the table without exterminating the bunnies. Once the table is back in place, I'll be sewing and swearing in no time.

And now, a question:

Once I'm bored with sewing again I plan to have my abused and neglected machine serviced. Any tips or thoughts on that? This reminds me, I'll have to get a snap of my old Singer. She's a beauty. My grandmother gave it to me post tune-up about 5 years ago. Poor thing has barely seen the light of day. The feet that came with it are amazing! (Not that I know how any of them work, mind you.)

3 comments:

Sadie said...

I have no tips on getting the machine serviced... I know that I have been putting that off myself for the last 4 years or so. I didn't touch my machine in probably almost 2 years because the tension was all messed up and I couldn't get it to straighten out, but it seems to be working okay for the most part now. Still need to get it in for service... I got it back in 1998?

Punkcountrygal said...

What do you use for a sewing table? I want to get something for mine, I'm sick of using the kitchen table!

Baroness of Blah said...

I use one of those small-ish rectangular folding tables. I still need to use the dining room table for cutting, but I can keep my sewing contained to the laundry/storage room.