22 January 2009

toddler amnesia


Except that's not what it is. The big kid was, I can now admit, an easy toddler. The terrible twos weren't that terrible. Our home was easy to baby proof, only requiring a couple of gates and some closed doors. We experienced more of a terrible threes but that's not the point. The point is how out of our minds we are with the wee one. She's clever. She's cunning. She's resourceful.



To you and me, it's a decorative pillow for the sofa. To the wee one, it is all she needs to plunder the kitchen. She'd been out of sight for 10 seconds, which is cause for alarm. I get up to check. What's that she's dragging off the counter and bringing to me? Ah, yes, my expensive (even though it's no longer new) dSLR that I thought was pushed back far enough.

It was cute when she was 15 months old and wanted an eating utensil for every piece of food. (Try explaining to a persistent child, you don't need a spoon to eat goldfish crackers.) It's not cute when she's running away from us with a fist full of forks. Who needs storage bags, foil, and plastic wrap stored in their convenient packaging? Not I! The wee one delights in yanking them free and hiding them around the house. Sure, it's okay if she gnaws on that stick of butter. It's not my day to change the "fun" diapers. Perhaps the big kid did something to deserve being beaten over the head, by her little sister, with a miniature rolling pin. It's possible.

I just placed an order at One Step Ahead. If anyone has any favorite baby-proofing products, I'd love to hear about them. Our major problem is the not-square, irregular opening to the kitchen. On one side, there is a door we can close. The other side is a challenge. I have a gate coming that is similar to one we used with the big kid. I also ordered drawer locks, a fridge lock, an oven lock, and a stove guard. All of those are in case the gate doesn't work (or as back up.)

When is it they are capable of some impulse control? It's going to feel like forever before we are there.

4 comments:

wildflowers said...

your wee one and my wee one are too much the same. As much as I want to see you, I would be terrified at what they would do together. My wee one just screamed NOOOOOOOO!!! to big sis and hit her. And yes!!! She has to have like 4 different things of silverware! Seriously they are way alike!

Tess said...

Oh man do I feel your pain! C is just as cunning and resourceful! We have 2 doors to the kitchen that close so I don't know what to tell you but it sounds like you are on the right course!

Punkcountrygal said...

I feel your pain mama!


Zoey is three and she still has no impulse control. Her neurologist told me she will definitely have problems in school with ADHD. Well that's fine and dandy,but what on earth do I do with her now? Everything that is (was) nice in our house ZOey has ruined/destroyed. So all nice things are packed away. We will not be paying anymore furniture until she is older.I guess my house will just look trashy until then!!!!!

Sadie said...

See, things like this are what keeps me from offering babysitting. I've recently realized that even though my kids are destructive hellions, things are considerably better than when they were infants and toddlers - I can have a candy dish on the table without fear of one of them flinging it to the floor and smashing it into a zillion bits - on purpose. I have no baby gates, and no worries about someone trying to flush a barbie. There's a light at the end of the tunnel!